Business Services Office
We are serving you remotely due to COVID. To contact Business Services Office staff or to submit a request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All deliveries at the University are being routed to Campus Mail Services and Campus Distribution. BSO-Purchasing staff are monitoring deliveries and they will contact you with delivery information. We encourage you to use the online forms.
Our mission is to support and enable the mission of the Jackson School by providing reliable and compliant Fiscal Management, Reporting and Business Services. We are committed to delivering ongoing communication, providing readily available information regarding University Processes and Rules, creating processing efficiencies, and improving Financial reporting.
The Business Services Office performs a wide variety of administrative functions in support of the Jackson School of Geoscience. Some of those functions include:
- Overseeing the Fiscal Management of the Jackson School of Geoscience
- Serving as a liaison between the Jackson School and The University of Texas at Austin
- Assisting departments/units with purchasing procedures
- Overseeing the process of recruitment, onboarding and retention in the Jackson School
- Ensuring faculty and staff understanding of University of Texas at Austin administrative procedures
- Monitoring compliance with the University of Texas at Austin and the Jackson School procedures
- Human Resources
The Human Resources team partners with you for organizational and employee excellence. We support your personnel resource needs, new hires, onboarding, compliance with UT Austin HR processes, student employment, ongoing employment programs such as Annual Performance Evaluations, timekeeping, and payroll processing. We are also here to support separations of employment. Monica Reed is your Title IX Liaison at the Jackson School.
New Employees Workday Current Employees Student Employees Visitors
Our Purchasing team is very experienced on UT processes and they will be glad to assist you with all procurement of services and goods. UT Austin does not allow you to individually make purchases and be reimbursed. Additionally, you must have a Services Agreement or Purchase Order prior to securing the services or goods that you need. Following ordering, our team will also coordinate with you delivery of the goods purchased. If you pick-up your goods centrally, please make sure to scan the packing slip to our Purchasing team.
If you need to place an order, send a complete purchase request form (one per vendor) to email@example.com.
- Purchases over $5,000 and all computer orders will be processed by Julie Lake.
- Purchases $5,000 and under will be processed by Eddie Ibarra.
- The University of Texas at Austin Handbook of Business Procedures, Purchasing Section
- Disallowed Purchases on ProCard
- ProCard Compliance Module
The Accounting team provides day to day accountability for income and expenses. We work with you to process payments and we provide financial information to assist with business decisions.
- Official Occasion Expense
- Vendor payments
- Travel and Reimbursements for Travel
The travel unit supports travelers to meet and process all pre-travel, travel, and post-travel UT Austin requirements. We assist with processes needed for individual travel, group travel, and field trip travel compliance.
- For individual travel:Pre-travel: a Request for Travel Authorizations (RTAs or VE5s) are required in order for faculty, staff and students to be reimbursed for travel expenses. They also ensure accountability for missed classes, work, and academic responsibilities. RTAs/VE5s should be processed before travel begins to provide liability and worker’s compensation insurance coverage for all travelers.Travel: all changes to pre-authorized travel must be reported and processed by our office to insure reimbursement of travel expenses.Post-travel: a reimbursement request should be submitted with all original receipts as soon as practical after travel, but no later than 60 days after travel. All reimbursements requested after 60 days will need to include a justification late submittal form. Reimbursements processed late may be considered taxable income, unlike reimbursements processed soon after the travel dates.
- For Group Travel:
- For Field Trips
- Request for Travel Authorization
- Request Professional Development
- Travel Expense Worksheet
- Student Medical Liability
- How to Process
- Contact Us
Business Services Office
Jackson School of Geosciences
University of Texas at Austin
2275 Speedway Stop C1160
Austin TX, 78712-1692
Office Phone: (512) 471-1692
Office Fax: (512) 471-0959
For all purchase and delivery needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to work with Julie Lake and Eddie Ibarra. Both of them have been working to understand COVID related procedures and will be glad to help you with any purchases or service procurement. Please do not make purchases on your own, as we may have trouble reimbursing you. Additionally, the University has put an exception process in place for all purchases over $100,000. We ask you to plan ahead for all purchases as we are seeing a lot of delayed orders and unavailable items due to the prolonged pandemic.
The University continues the hiring “frost” for all new postings and hires requiring an exception to be approved during this time. Travel also continues to be restricted during this period, unless approved as an exception. If travel is approved, all arrangements must be made through Anthony Travel, no personal arrangements may be reimbursed. An RTA and an approved travel exception request is needed for all travel.