Student Employees

Navigation: Academic Employment | Non-Academic Employment | Health Insurance

Academic Employment

Academic employment consists of teaching assistant, graduate research assistants and assistant instructor positions. Students are required to enroll in 9 credit hours (long semester) and 3 credit hours (summer semester) to be eligible for these positions.

Student Rates for 2021

No timesheet is required. Student employees in academic assignments are paid on a monthly basis on the 1st of the following month.For example, if employment starts 9/01, the first paycheck received would be 10/01 for the time worked in the month of September.

Tuition Support
Students appointed to a 20-hour assignment for the duration of the semester will receive the following tuition support:

Tuition Reduction Benefit


TRB Amount


$4,834 to cover 9 credit hours of in-state tuition*


To be determined*

*Students enrolling in more than 9 hours will receive additional tuition funding to cover the additional hours

Tuition Waiver
Tuition waivers are available for out-of-state and international students who are serving in TA/GRA/AI assignments for 20 hours. Eligible students must apply for this waiver every semester of employment in order to receive it.

International Fees

International students are subject to additional fees each semester.  International students will receive an additional payment to cover “ISSS Support Services Fee,” current $125/long semester, $XXX/summer semester.

Sample Tuition Bills
Sample Tuition Bill for Texas Resident
Sample Tuition Bill for US Citizen (Non-Texas Resident)
Sample Tuition Bill for International Student
Details 01By clicking the “Details” link under Payment Information you can see a breakdown of the payments received.


Health Insurance

Graduate students appointed as TAs/GRAs/AIs for 20 hours per week for 4.5 continuous months are eligible for the university’s student group insurance benefits at no cost.

Insurance Waiver

International students will automatically be billed for student insurance on the tuition bill for each semester enrolled.  Those receiving staff health insurance by means of employment are eligible to complete an insurance waiver to remove student insurance charges from the tuition bill.

Non-Academic Employment

Non-academic employment typically refers to work performed outside of a classroom or research lab.

While the Jackson School of Geosciences offers very few non-academic employment opportunities, though some students have been able to pick up additional hours through various departments on campus.


While non-academic employment seems like an opportunity to pick up a few extra hours, there are students do run into eligibility issues from time to time.

Students in their first year are limited to 20 hours of total employment.  Students wishing to add additional hours will need to request an exception through Philip Guerrero.

Graduate school fellowship recipients are not eligible for on-campus employment while receiving fellowship funds unless the employment is a requirement of the fellowship package.

International students already employed in a 20-hour TA/GRA/AI position can only pick up additional hours during vacation periods in order to maintain their visa status.  Please review the on-campus employment guidelines for international students found here.


Non-academic is generally hourly in nature and requires timesheet submission in order to receive payment.  Timesheet FAQs can be found here.

Students in non-academic titles are paid on a semi-monthly basis according to timesheet approval.  The Semi-Monthly Payroll Calendar can be found here.

Insurance eligibility varies depending on your funding sources in a given semester.

Please review the insurance options linked below to determine what is best for you.

Health Insurance

Student Health Insurance Plan

Graduate students must be enrolled in AT LEAST FOUR (4) credit hours EACH SEMESTER to be eligible for the plan.

Student Employee Insurance Plan

Graduate students assigned to work in a student academic title for at least 20 hours a week for at least 4.5 months (135 calendar days) are eligible for the university’s employee group insurance benefits.

Graduate Student Fellow Insurance

To qualify for UT group insurance, you must hold one or more graduate student fellowships, awarded on a competitive basis, that either singly or in combination provide a stipend valued at $10,000 or more per year.

COBRA Coverage

COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) is a Federal law under which employees and their covered dependents have the opportunity for a temporary extension of medical, dental and/or vision coverage at group rates in instances where coverage under the plan would otherwise end.

You will be sent a COBRA notification every time you end employment with the University.

Health Insurance: What about summer?

Health insurance can be tricky over the summer for a couple of reasons.

First, standalone summer employment does not fulfill the eligibility requirements for employee insurance because in itself it’s only a 3-month assignment.  Remember student assignments must be 4.5 months in order to be eligible for employee insurance.  Because of this, we must view summer in connection with the previous spring or future fall assignments to determine if the student will reach 4.5 months of eligibility.

Second, students who hold a spring TA assignment will continue on staff insurance throughout the summer, regardless of employment status during the summer, as long as we are expecting them to return to an employed position in the next fall semester.  The university views TA positions much like faculty positions, 9 months in nature, therefore spring TAs have the opportunity to continue their coverage (at no cost), again, if we are expecting the student to return to an employee position in the fall.  This means, spring TAs who are summer graduates would not automatically receive the insurance coverage.  This means, spring TAs who will transition to a fellowship in the upcoming fall semester will not automatically receive the insurance coverage.

All that being said, the department reviews insurance coverage going into the summer semester to determine which students need additional support to continue a form of insurance coverage throughout the summer.