Ways to Give
Make the Jackson School part of your philanthropic plan.
We invite you to make an annual gift to sustain our most immediate needs and challenges, create an endowment to direct your giving to a specific area now and in the future and plan your legacy with the Jackson School.
All gifts make a difference. Foundation staff members are available to help you understand how your gifts make an impact and provide the most meaning for you and your family.
Why does the Jackson School need donor support?
Our vision is bold and our goal is simple – to become the top geoscience program in the world. To reach this ambitious objective, we rely on both the foundation laid through the Jackson estate gift and ongoing investment to enable the school to push boundaries and achieve new levels of excellence. We are growing current programs and starting new initiatives to keep the school at the forefront of science. Investment from alumni, friends and supporters is critical.
I am just one person – does my gift really make a difference?
Great institutions rely not just on major gifts but on the dedicated participation and ongoing investment from thousands of stakeholders. High levels of engagement form alumni is often one of the key indicators of excellence for academic programs. Your decision to contribute to the Jackson School, at any financial amount, is vital to our long-term success. Additionally, combining your gift with your company’s corporate matching program can help to further stretch the impact of your investment.
How are unrestricted dollars spent?
At the Jackson School, we are fortunate to have a permanent endowment with revenues that allow us to “keep the lights on.” This provides us the unique opportunity to put unrestricted dollars to use in ways that truly benefit students and further advance cutting edge research. In recent years, Dean Mosher has utilized unrestricted annual gifts to meet critical needs more quickly. Examples include creating a Writer in Residence position to assist students with scientific writing and improving an outdated HVAC system to allow our labs to function at full capacity.
Endowments at The University of Texas at Austin are a sound investment in a better future. With an endowed gift, you provide permanent support for the University. Your gift is invested — never spent — and each year a distribution, like dividends on a mutual fund account, is made to your chosen program or area. Investment earnings above the dividend rate help the endowment value grow over time, to keep pace with inflation and maintain your endowment’s spending power.
You may take up to five years to fund an endowment, and once it is officially established, you or anyone else may continue to add to its principal at any time. Moreover, by selecting the title of your endowment, you can forever link your name, or that of a family member, friend, or organization, to scholarly excellence at the University.
Various types of endowments are listed below, but endowments can cover other purposes that may fall outside of these general categories:
- Student Scholarships and Graduate Fellowships enable the University to attract and recognize the best undergraduate and graduate students regardless of their financial circumstances. Your assistance allows students to concentrate on their coursework while participating more fully in extracurricular programs that will enhance their personal development. Gift Level:$25,000 to $1000,000
- Program Endowments and Excellence Funds support excellence in specific or general programs throughout the University. You can choose to support the area in which you earned your degree or another program that interests you. Gift Level:$25,000 and above
- Chairs and Professorships are awarded to deans, department chairs, and outstanding faculty. These endowments are crucial to the University’s efforts to recruit and retain the best teachers, researchers, and administrators. When you read or hear a news story about a UT professor’s groundbreaking research or other achievements, that professor is probably the recipient of endowment support. Gift Level:$1MM to $300K
The impact of endowments cannot be overstated. They provide long term support to achieve the visions and dreams of our students, faculty and research scientists. An endowment of $1MM provides approximately $45K in annual program support. We suggest consideration of higher endowment levels to assure that the impact of your philanthropy is effectively felt within the Jackson School.
Like the leaders and supporters who have gone before, you can choose to develop a philanthropic plan that will ensure a secure future for the Jackson School and its students. By including the Jackson School in your retirement and estate planning you can diminish tax burdens while supporting students and faculty.
Charitable gift annuities, which provide immediate fixed payments for life, with the remaining funds distributed to the Jackson School, offer one option.
Or you may find it more attractive to do a charitable remainder trust that converts significant appreciated assets into cash payments while eliminating capital gains taxes. If created through your will, this is one of the best ways to roll over qualified retirement-plan assets to leave more for both your heirs and your charitable interests.
You can get started today, using the UT Estate and Gift Planning Web.
For more information, please contact Belle German at 512-471-1993 or Karen Cochran at 512-471-6010.
Four ways to give to JSG:
- Use your credit card to give or pledge online.
Give generally or select a specific JSG endowment(s).
- Contact the Geology Foundation
JSG Dean and Foundation Director Sharon Mosher and Director of Development Belle German can offer overviews of various support options.
- UT Estate and Gift Planning Web
Create a legacy through a planned gift.
Make your gift go further. There are several options that can stretch the potential of your donations.
- Gifts from current JSG students or alumni within three years or less of graduation from JSG will be matched, dollar for dollar. Any gift to the Jackson School up to $3000 is eligible. It is simple. Just send in a gift, and it will automatically be matched. No paperwork or hassle, and you will have doubled the impact.
- Get even more bang for your buck. Check out http://matchinggifts.com/utexas to learn if your company provides a match, or ask your HR rep.
- Additionally, we often have alumni and friends set up matching gift challenges. Contact your Alumni Relations and Development Team to learn about current opportunities or to set up a giving challenge of your own.
Consider Derek Sawyer, Ph.D. ’10, who valued his time at the Jackson School and wanted to make a contribution. “I wasn’t sure my small gift was going to make a difference. However, it was a no-brainer to donate when I found out a modest amount would be immediately doubled,” says Sawyer. Derek didn’t stop there. He accessed ExxonMobil’s 3:1 company match growing his gift exponentially.