UT Libraries Virtual Resources
March 31, 2020
UT Libraries is adept at operating in an online mode and we are committed to sustaining the university’s academic mission with our many virtual resources, even while we have no library staff on campus. We especially want to support faculty with online instruction, so please note:
- Our librarians have been and will continue to reach out to your faculty to ascertain their needs for online instruction and research support. They will work with them to develop online alternatives to physical materials required for courses during the rest of the semester. When a digital version is available, we will work to purchase or license it when the cost and terms are reasonable.
- Virtual services and resources are available to help faculty and students adjust to virtual instruction and research. See: https://www.lib.utexas.edu/research-help-support#.
- Students, faculty and staff have access to a vast array of online resources through our digital collections.
- In addition, libraries and information providers have collaborated to temporarily provide expanded access to many additional online resources.
- Hathi Trust, for example, will soon make available to member institutions operating under emergency conditions expanded access to the 17 million volumes in the Hathi Trust digital library. Faculty, students, and staff will be able to access anything owned by UTL that has been digitized, even by another institution. A list of Hathi Trust volumes is here:
- Use this link to find continuously updated lists of textbooks, ebooks, streaming media, databases and other resources that have been recently opened:
- The Ask a Librarian chat service is available and librarians will continue to provide chat, reference, and research consultations through our online venues.
- See our library services continuity guide for a comprehensive guide to using UT Libraries online during this crisis: http://guides.lib.utexas.edu/c.php?g=1011004&p=7324166
Thank you for your understanding and patience during this challenging period. Please let me know if you have any questions about the above. As updates to our services occur, we will continue to post them on the Libraries’ website.