Welcome to JSG
A historical listing of JSG events
Get in touch with us
The Jackson School of Geosciences at The University of Texas at Austin is among the most established and well regarded geoscience programs in the world. The school includes the University’s Department of Geological Sciences, one of the country’s oldest geoscience departments, and two world-renowned research units, the Institute for Geophysics and the Bureau of Economic Geology. The school is home to the world’s largest academic geoscience communities with 4,600 alumni, 90 research scientists and 58 faculty members, and one of the largest combined graduate and undergraduate enrollments (614) of any major geoscience program.
The Jackson School is both old and new. It traces its origins to a Department of Geology founded in 1888 but became a separate unit at the level of a college only on September 1, 2005. The school’s formation resulted from one of the most generous gifts in the history of higher education when the late John A. and Katherine G. Jackson bequeathed endowments and assets to the university presently valued at over $300 million.
Bureau of Economic Geology—1909
Institute for Geophysics—1972
|Established at level of a college:||2005|
|Enrollment Fall 2013:||318 graduate
|Degrees awarded 2012-13:||68 graduate
90 research scientists
70 research staff
24 postdoctoral researchers
140 support staff
|Annual budget:||$90 million|