An internal transfer student is one who is enrolled in a school/college at the University of Texas at Austin other than the Jackson School of Geosciences and wishes to apply for admission to a major in the Jackson School. Students must apply for an internal transfer into the Jackson School through an online application which opens during the spring semester. Key dates and deadlines as well as a link to access the online application can be found on this webpage.
|GeoSci (B.A., B.S.): Students interested in applying to internally transfer to the BA or BS, Geological Sciences must complete the Jackson School of Geosciences online internal transfer application.|
|GEH Program (B.S.): Students interested in applying to internally transfer to the BS, Geosystems Engineering & Hydrogeology must apply directly to the Cockrell School of Engineering.|
|EVS Program (B.S.): Students interested in applying to transfer to the BS Environmental Science degree program (all majors) must apply through the EVS Program Office.|
Minimum Requirements – JSG, Geological Sciences
Geological Sciences Program (B.A., B.S.): All internal transfer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements by the end of the spring semester in which they apply:
- Currently enrolled within your first 4 long semesters (fall and spring) at UT Austin.
Students enrolled in their 5th long semester at UT Austin are not eligible.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 hours in-residence at UT Austin.
Credit by exam, UT correspondence, extension and transfer hours do not count toward this requirement.
- Completion of no more than 60 hours in-residence at UT Austin.
Credit by exam, UT correspondence, extension and transfer hours do not count toward total hours in-residence. Students with > 60 hours in-residence completed are not eligible.
- No more than one (1) application for internal transfer to the Jackson School of Geosciences submitted previously (as of Spring 2014).
Each UT Austin student may apply to internally transfer a maximum of 2 times during their first four long semesters or prior to completing 60 hours in-residence (whichever comes first). Third applications are not allowed. Any applications submitted before Spring 2014 do not apply.
- Completion of M 408C or M 408K & M 408L or M 408N & M 408S with a grade of C- or higher in each.
- Additional requirement for applicants with 31-60 semester hours in residence: Completion of M408D or M408M with a grade of C- or higher.
- Completion of GEO 401 or GEO 303 with a grade of C- or higher.
Completion of CH 301 with a grade of C- or higher.
- Completion of all current-semester courses with a grade of C- or higher in each.
- Enrolled full-time
- Suggested minimum grade point average of 3.0 (UT GPA).
Note: All requirements must be completed prior to, or upon completion of, the semester the student submits an internal transfer application to JSG. In the event the student does not satisfy the minimum requirements their application will no longer be eligible for review. The application will be counted towards the 2 (maximum) opportunities to apply to transfer into the Jackson School.
Application Guidelines and Deadlines 2015-16
|February 15th||JSG online application opens for all UT students|
|April 10th||Deadline for application exemption requests|
|April 15th||Online application closes|
- All internal transfer applications completed by the above deadlines go through a holistic, competitive selection process. Admission is increasingly competitive and space availability varies from year-to-year.
- Any offer of admission made before spring grades are finalized is contingent upon successful completion of all minimum requirements for internal transfer to the Jackson School.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- All application materials must be submitted using the online application.
- Materials received via email or hard copy will not be reviewed.
JSG Internal Transfer Information Sessions 2015-16
A schedule of JSG Internal Transfer Info Sessions is below. All students are encouraged to attend an info session. Attendance is required for students interested in scheduling a one-on-one session with a JSG advisor. Refer to the JSG Prospective Student Individual Advising Sessions section below for additional information about individual advising sessions.
|April 5th||JGB 6.218||2:00-3:00pm|
|April 6th||JGB 6.218||12:00n-1:00pm|
|April 7th||JGB 6.218||9:30-10:30am|
JSG Non-Major Individual Advising Sessions
Individual advising sessions are only available on certain dates in the fall and spring semester. Students must attend one of the JSG Internal Transfer Information Sessions listed above in orange to be eligible to request an appointment.
Non-major individual advising sessions are by appointment only and are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Space is limited and not all students that attend an information session are guaranteed an appointment. Dates reserved for non-major individual advising sessions are announced during the fall and spring information sessions respectively.