An internal transfer student is one who is enrolled in a school/college at the University of Texas at Austin other than the Jackson School of Geosciences and wishes to apply for admission to a major in the Jackson School. Students must apply for an internal transfer into the Jackson School through an online application which opens during the spring semester. Key dates and deadlines as well as a link to access the online application can be found on this webpage.
|GeoSci (B.A., B.S.): Students interested in applying to internally transfer to the BA or BS, Geological Sciences must complete the Jackson School of Geosciences online internal transfer application.|
|GEH Program (B.S.): Students interested in applying to internally transfer to the BS, Geosystems Engineering & Hydrogeology must apply directly to the Cockrell School of Engineering.|
|EVS Program (B.S.): Students interested in applying to transfer to the BS Environmental Science degree program (all majors) must apply through the EVS Program Office.|
Minimum Requirements – JSG, Geological Sciences
Geological Sciences Program (B.A., B.S.): All internal transfer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements by the end of the spring semester in which they apply:
- Currently enrolled within your first 4 long semesters (fall and spring) at UT Austin.
Students enrolled in their 5thlong semester at UT Austin are not eligible.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 hours in-residence at UT Austin.
Credit by exam, UT correspondence, extension and transfer hours do not count toward this requirement.
- Completion of no more than 60 hours in-residence at UT Austin.
Credit by exam, UT correspondence, extension and transfer hours do not count toward total hours in-residence. Students with > 60 hours in-residence completed are not eligible.
- No more than one (1) application for internal transfer to the Jackson School of Geosciences submitted previously (as of Spring 2014).
Each UT Austin student may apply to internally transfer a maximum of 2 times during their first four long semesters or prior to completing 60 hours in-residence (whichever comes first).
- Completion of M 408C or M 408K & M 408L or M 408N & M 408S with a grade of C-or higher in each.
- Additional requirement for applicants with 31-60 semester hours in residence: Completion of M408D or M408M with a grade of C- or higher.
- Completion of GEO 401 or GEO 303 with a grade of C-or higher.
Completion of CH 301 with a grade of C- or higher.
- Completion of all current-semester courses with a grade of C-or higher in each.
- Enrolled full-time (12 SCH)
- Suggested minimum grade point average of 3.0 (UT GPA).
Note: All requirements must be completed prior to, or upon completion of, the semester the student submits an internal transfer application to JSG. In the event the student does not satisfy the minimum requirements their application will no longer be eligible for review. The application will be counted towards the 2 (maximum) opportunities to apply to transfer into the Jackson School.
- All internal transfer applications go through a holistic, competitive selection process. Admission is increasingly competitive and space availability varies from year-to-year.
- Any offer of admission made before spring grades are finalized is contingent upon successful completion of all minimum requirements for internal transfer to the Jackson School.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- All application materials must be submitted using the online application.
- Materials received via email or hard copy will not be reviewed.
Dates and Deadlines
|February 1, 2018||Online application opens|
|April 8, 2018||Deadline for application Exemption Request|
|April 15, 2018||Deadline for JSG Internal Transfer Application
Online application closes @ midnight
JSG Internal Transfer Information Sessions
All students interested in applying to internal transfer to the Jackson School are strongly encouraged to attend an info session before submitting an application.
Individual advising sessions are only available on certain dates in the fall and spring semester for students that have attended a JSG Internal Transfer Information Session. The information sessions on the dates listed below in orange are eligible to request an individual advising appointment in Spring 2018. Refer to the JSG Prospective Student Individual Advising Sessions section below for additional information about individual advising sessions.
|Date (Spring 2018)||Location||Time|
|February 6th||JGB 2.102A||12:30 – 1:30pm|
|February 15th||JGB 2.102A||11:00 – 12:00n|
|February 22nd||JGB 2.102A||10:00 – 11:00am|
|February 27th||JGB 2.102A||2:00 – 3:00pm|
|March 6th||JGB 2.102A||12:30 – 1:30pm|
|March 27th||JGB 2.102A||9:30 – 10:30am|
|March 29th||JGB 2.102A||11:00 – 12:00n|
|Walk-in Hours (Spring 2018):
April 4th & April 11th
|JGB 6.218A||11:00am – 1:00pm|
Internal Transfer Application Open/Walk-in Hours
Walk-in hours are available for students interested in applying for internal transfer to the Jackson School. During these times students may ask questions about the application, application process, or receive feedback on their application resume or optional essay. These are not comparable to an individual advising sessions. Students may be seen as a group or individually on a first-come, first-served basis.
JSG Non-Major Individual Advising Sessions
Individual advising sessions are only available on certain dates in the fall and spring semester. Students must attend a JSG Internal Transfer Information Session prior to requesting an advising appointment. The information sessions on the dates listed above in orange are eligible to schedule an individual advising appointment between February 1 – March 30, 2018.
Non-major individual advising sessions are by appointment only and are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. No shows and late arrivals will not be rescheduled. Details for how to schedule an advising appointment are announced during the information session.