An internal transfer student is one enrolled in a school/college at the University of Texas at Austin other than the Jackson School of Geosciences and wishes to apply for admission to a major in the Jackson School. Students must apply for an internal transfer into the Jackson School through an online application that opens each spring semester. Information regarding application requirements, deadline, schedule of information sessions and more are available below.
Minimum Requirements – B.A. or B.S., Geological Sciences
All internal transfer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements by the end of the spring semester in which they apply:
- Currently enrolled full-time (12 SCH) and within your first 4 long semesters (fall and spring) at UT Austin.
- Completion of at least 24 hours and no more than 60 hours in-residence at UT Austin.
Credit by exam, UT correspondence, extension and transfer hours do not count toward this requirement.
- Suggested minimum UT GPA 3.0
- Completion of the following course work (or equivalent) with a grade of C- or higher in each:
- Calculus I: UT Austin courses M 408C or M 408K & M 408L or M 408N & M 408S
- Physical/Intro to Geology: UT Austin courses GEO 401 or GEO 303
- Chemistry I: UT Austin course: CH 301
- All current-spring semester courses with a grade of C- or higher in each.
- **Applicants with 31-60 semester hours in residence** must also complete Calculus II, UT Austin M 408D or M 408M (or equivalent) with a grade of C- or higher
Note: All transfer work used to satisfy application requirements must be on file with The University of Texas at Austin.
- All internal transfer applications go through a holistic, competitive selection process. Admission is increasingly competitive and space availability varies from year-to-year.
- Any offer of admission made before spring grades are finalized is contingent upon successful completion of all minimum requirements for internal transfer to the Jackson School.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- All application materials must be submitted using the online application.
|January 18th||Online application opens|
|May 1st||Application Deadline|
JSG Internal Transfer Information Sessions
All non-GEO students interested in applying to internally transfer to the Jackson School should attend an info session before submitting an application. Students that attend an information session before spring break have the option to schedule one 30-minute individual advising session with a GEO advisor.*
*Non-major advising sessions are by appointment only during the dates specified each semester. Additional details provided at the information session(s).
|Date||Time||In-person or Virtual||Location|
|Apr 14th||3:00 pm||In-person||JGB 2.102A|
|Apr 21st||11:00 am||In-person||JGB 2.102A|
|Apr 28th||11:00 am||In-person||JGB 2.102A|