The JSG Career Services office is located in the Jackson School of Geosciences Building, inside the Holland Family Student Center in JGB 2.106 A. JSG Career Services offers career counseling, assistance with resume and cover letter writing, job search strategies, interviewing skills, job offer and salary negotiation tips and graduate school planning.
- Make an appointment through your student account on Career Connections or drop-in on Thursdays; 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Career Connections is an online resource that manages student resumes, job postings, and scheduling for interviews and information sessions and online interview practice.
- We offer various opportunities to speak with professionals and build your network. Those include: Fall on-campus recruiting and interviewing, the Texas Geosciences Career Fair and Mock Interviews with JSG Employers; Spring semester Employer Spotlight Days, the JSG Undergraduate Externship Program and Informational Interviews with JSG Alumni & JSG Employers.
Jackson School offers Master degree programs that are broad in geoscience disciplines and, also, a program in Energy & Earth Resources to prepare students for jobs in various industry sectors. The doctoral degree is conferred on many who wish to enter industry, post-doctoral research, or positions in academia. The career services serves all students as they seek their ideal career path.
Online Resources for your career development
Online Resume Reviews
– improve your resume with a free review from a geoscientist professional
– offered through the Association for Woman Geoscientists (AWG)
- The Geological Society
On to the Future
-Strategic commitment to building a diverse geoscience community
-Program awards partial travel scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students, and recent graduates
-Students are a part of a growing network of diverse geoscience leaders, informed with career and leadership tools to build a robust, knowledgeable, and engaged scientific community
- AGU Job Search Skills & Advice
- On the Cutting Edge: NAGT Resources for new geoscience faculty
- U.S. National Laboratories
Policy for JSG Alumni
Our alumni are welcome to use any of our career services free of charge for an unlimited time except for on-campus interviews. On-campus interviews are reserved for current students only and alumni may only apply to positions on Career Connections that are aligned with the degree received at the Jackson School of Geosciences. For example, alumni who are pursuing a higher degree (higher than the one they earned at the JSG) at another institution would not be eligible to compete with current students for interviews or job opportunities that are available on-campus. Alumni are encouraged to research job opportunities through professional organizations, like AAPG, SEG, GSA and AGU. If alums are not available for an in-office appointment, a phone consultation can be arranged for career coaching. Alumni also have continued access to the career management platform, Career Connections.