The JSG Career Services office is located in the Jackson School of Geosciences Building, inside the Holland Family Student Center in JGB 2.106 A. JSG Career Services offers career counseling, assistance with resume and cover letter writing, job search strategies, interviewing skills, job offer and salary negotiation tips and graduate school planning.
- Make an appointment for a career consultation here.
- Visit Handshake as your one-stop career resource that manages job postings and announcements of campus career fairs and career events.
- We offer various opportunities to speak with professionals and build your network. Those include: Fall on-campus recruiting and interviewing, the Texas Geosciences Career Fair and Mock Interviews with JSG Employers; Spring semester Employer Spotlight Days, the JSG Undergraduate Externship Program and Informational Interviews with JSG Alumni & JSG Employers.
- At the beginning of your career development journey, please be sure to view JSG Career Services’ Recruiting Guidelines to learn about the Student Code of Ethics.
Online resources for your career development
GROW – Geoscience Resources on Opportunities in the Workforce
- Science Communication
- Teaching certifications
- Scientific Diver Certification
- Esri Technical Certification or GISCI certification
- Geologist-in-Training Certification by passing the ASBOG Fundamentals of Geology
- UT Coursera Certificate Programs
- Earn company-designed and industry-leading certificates for high-demand career paths (such as Data Analytics, Project Management, Digital Marketing, etc.)
- Grow with Google and Microsoft Excel
- Seats open on a rotating basis
Strengthen your Resume and Skills
- Online Resume Review
- Improve your resume with a free review from a geoscientist professional
- Offered through the Association for Woman Geoscientists (AWG)
- Practice your Interview Skills
- Use mock interviews to get hands-on practice
- Interviews tailored to specific majors/areas of interest
- Land the Perfect Job with LinkedIn
- Offers tons of courses that help students improve their interview, networking, and negotiation skills
- Helps students create and engaging and up-to-date LinkedIn profile
- Strategic commitment to building a diverse geoscience community
- Program awards partial travel scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students, and recent graduates
- Students are a part of a growing network of diverse geoscience leaders, informed with career and leadership tools to build a robust, knowledgeable, and engaged scientific community