The Jackson School of Geosciences holds commencement ceremonies each May to honor the graduates and candidates of the entire academic year. The May 2020 commencement ceremony includes Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and approved Summer 2020 graduates. Attendance at the school graduation ceremony is optional.
Friday, May 22, 2020
10:00am – 12:00pm
Hogg Memorial Auditorium (HMA)
All participating faculty, researchers and students – plan for check-in as early as 8am the day of the ceremony.
- Commencement Details
Friday, May 22, 2020
10:00am – 12:00pm
- Ceremony begins promptly at 10 a.m.
- Doors will open for guest seating approximately 1 hour before the ceremony.
- The college anticipates that the ceremony will last 1.5-2 hours. Out of respect for all graduates, please plan to arrive on time and be present until the end of the ceremony.
- Participating graduates and faculty members, please review respective FAQs for arrival time, check-in room locations, etc.
Hogg Memorial Auditorium (HMA), 2300 Whitis Ave., Austin TX, 78705
Information regarding parking and directions can be found on the University Commencement website, and the Parking and Transportation Services website. Please note that visitor traffic is significant during commencement days and you should anticipate longer travel and parking times.
Accessibility Drop Off
Mobility impaired candidates or guests who cannot walk comfortably more than 5’ are advised to bring wheelchairs to the event. Due to the expected attendance, individuals are encouraged to secure the necessary equipment prior to arriving at the venue the day of the event.
Participating graduates are asked to notify the JSG commencement coordinator no later than April 15th if any of their guests require accessibility and/or mobility assistance.
- Campus Safety & Security
The university has security procedures in place for all commencement ceremonies and venues. Please review the information below and plan accordingly to avoid delays. To view the full policy click here.
- Backpacks, tote bags, or any bags larger than 12 inches in any dimension will not be allowed into the venue.
- Do not bring any packages that cannot be opened or inspected to the venue.
- In addition, security officers may search all bags including purses, camera cases, etc. before allowing guests to enter the venue.
- Those visitors bringing small bags should expect delays in order to enter the venue, and those with prohibited large bags will be turned away.
- Visitors should be aware of the campus safety and security procedures referenced above regarding bags and other items allowed into the venue.
- Graduates and participating faculty should not bring personal items (purses, coats) to the ceremony as they cannot be left in the prep/green room(s) and there is no area to secure them during the ceremony.
- It is recommended that those participating in the ceremony carry cell phones and keys on a wristlet or in clothing with pockets.
- Academic Regalia & Appropriate Dress
Academic Regalia is required for all degree candidates and consists of a:
Black Robe Mortar Board Tassel Hood Stole BA/BS X X Geosciences N/A Geosciences MA/MS X X Geosciences Geosciences N/A PhD – Custom All inclusive set (gown, hood, tam w/gold tassel) N/A PhD – Traditional w/velvet inlays mortarboard or tam Geosciences or gold (depends on hat choice) Traditional Doctoral Hood N/A
Academic regalia may be purchased from the University Coop; Doctoral caps & gowns are available for purchase or rent (see Co-op deadlines)
Graduating students that choose to borrow regalia, still need to purchase a tassel and stole or hood.
Only academic related additions to the regalia are allowed (ex. UT Austin orange/white honor cords, honor society stoles, etc.)
Students should wear an appropriate outfit, preferably business casual attire, underneath their regalia.
For safety reasons please be mindful of the shoes you plan to wear for the commencement ceremony. The stairs to and from the stage may be slick and rather steep. It is recommended that graduates not wear overly high heels or flip flops for the commencement ceremony.
- Commencement Speaker
- Guest Seating
- Tickets are required for the JSG Commencement Ceremony.
- Each participating JSG student may receive up to (#TBD) guest tickets.
- Participating students must attend a JSG Commencement Ready session prior to the ceremony in order to guarantee their seat in the ceremony and receive their allocation of guest tickets.
- If additional tickets are available, they will be offered to open house attendees only closer to the day of the event.
- Seating for the JSG Spring Commencement ceremony will be available on a first-to-arrive, first-seated basis. Seats cannot be held or reserved for late arriving guests.
- Out of respect for our graduates, once the ceremony begins guests seated in the main auditorium are expected to attend the entire ceremony.
- Accessible seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-seated basis.
- Mobility impaired candidates or guests who cannot walk comfortably more than 5’ are advised to bring wheelchairs to the event.
- Due to the expected attendance, individuals are encouraged to secure the necessary equipment on their own prior to arriving at the venue the day of the event.
- While every effort will be made we may be unable to fulfill every accommodation request, particularly those not conveyed in advance to the event coordinators. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
- University Commencement
All Jackson School graduates and their families are encouraged to take part in the University-wide Spring Commencement on Saturday, May 24, 2020 at the UT Tower. Consult the event website for more information about pre-ceremony activities, parking, participant tickets and more.
Invitations may be purchased from the University Co-op.
Details to be provide once confirmed.
There are several steps to ensure you’re ready to receive your diploma. Visit the UT Registrar’s website for details and instructions asap.