Saturday, May 22, 2021
2:00pm – 5:00pm
William C. Powers Auditorium (formerly SAC)
The Jackson School of Geosciences spring 2021 graduation is a time to celebrate the accomplishments of fall 2020, spring 2021 and summer 2021 graduates. Due to campus Covid-19 safety requirements the spring 2021 commencement activities are limited to students graduating in academic year 2020-21 only.
Tickets are required for graduates and their guests. All attendees are required to follow the campus health & safety guidelines including, but not limited to, wearing cloth masks at all times (inside buildings & outdoors) and social distancing. Attendance at both the school graduation and university-wide commencement is optional.
The University of Texas at Austin is planning an event in September 2021 for students that graduated the previous academic year (2019-2020). Visit the university website for additional details on this event.
JSG Graduation Q&A Sessions for Faculty & Staff
|April 9th||11:30am & 12:00n||Zoom|
|April 14th||12:00n & 12:30pm||Zoom|
|May 10th||12:00n & 12:30pm||Zoom|
- Sign-up Survey (REQUIRED)
- All participating students, faculty and guests must check-in at the Jackson Geosciences Building (JGB) at their assigned time. To maintain social distancing protocols check-in times and locations will be staggered.
- Your check-in time and location will be provided closer to the event
- Students & Faculty should have their regalia on/in hand at check-in
- All guests must show their ticket at check-in
- Event Details
- Students and guests will be directed to their place in line at check-in.
- Procession to auditorium begins promptly at 2 p.m.
- At the auditorium students will proceed to the stage and guests will enter the auditorium seating area to see their student cross the stage, take photos, etc.
- Students and guests exit the auditorium
- Academic Regalia (Required)
BA, BS: Black gown Black mortarboard Earth green tassel & stole MA, MS: Black gown Black mortarboard Earth green tassel & hood PhD, Option #1 UT’s custom gown & tam regalia (includes hood, Tower pins optional) PhD, Option #2 Traditional complete doctoral regalia with tam or mortarboard (includes hood)
Doctoral Purchase (custom) – March 19th
Doctoral Rental – April 16th
Bachelor’s & Master’s Purchase – April 30th
Visit the University Coop for additional information and to place your order.
- Participating students that choose to borrow regalia, still need to purchase a tassel and stole or hood.
- Only academic related additions to the regalia are allowed (ex. UT Austin orange/white honor cords, honor society stoles, etc.)
- JSG Graduation Program
- For Spring 2021 the JSG Graduation program will be published online only.
- To appear in the program students must complete the online sign-up survey by April 15th.
- No changes accepted after April 15th.
- Guest Tickets
Tickets are required for all guests attending the Spring 2021 JSG Graduation.
- Each student participating in the JSG Graduation may request up to 4 (max) guest tickets for the event. Requests for tickets are included in the online sign-up survey.
- Participating students do NOT need to request a ticket.
- Tickets will be mailed to the address provided in the sign-up survey on May 1st (approx).
- Guests are required to have their ticket in-hand the day of the event to attend.
- Every individual (adult, child, toddler, friend, etc.) must have a ticket.
- Individuals who have forgotten tickets, lost tickets, etc. will not be allowed to attend.
- Each family / group cannot exceed a total of 5 people.
** Each student may request up to 4 tickets (max) total. **
** Unused tickets may not be reallocated to another student. **
** No additional tickets will be available closer to or day-of the event. **
Information regarding parking and directions can be found on the University and Parking and Transportation Services websites. Most parking garages are open and free to the public during commencement weekend. Please note that visitor traffic is significant during commencement weekend and you should anticipate longer travel and parking times.
- Personal Items
- Graduates and participating faculty should not bring personal items (purses, coats) to the ceremony as there is no area to secure them during the event.
- As guests will be standing and walking with their student for the entirety of the event, please account for the size and weight of any personal items you bring as there will not be a secure location to leave them at the event.
- It is recommended that those participating in the ceremony carry cell phones and keys on a wristlet or in clothing with pockets.
The University provides photography during the event through a third-party vendor, Flash Photography. After the event Flash Photography will contact students directly with instructions for purchasing photos (optional).Flash Photography will capture two special moments during the JSG Graduation event including:
- an individual photo of each graduate prior to entering the WCP Auditorium (at this time we anticipate this will be a mask-optional photo and will update once confirmed).
- each graduate on stage as they accept their diploma from the JSG Dean.
As guests are walking through the auditorium to see their student recognized, they are welcome to take photos as well. We simply ask that guests stay clear of the Flash Photographer’s work space and respect the families of graduates crossing the stage before and after your student by not blocking the view and keeping the line moving.
- Accessibility Accommodations
The JSG Spring 2021 Graduation will involve a significant amount of walking, standing and stairs for both students and guests.
- Due to demand on campus during commencement weekend we are unable to fulfill guests’ requests for accessibility assistance (wheelchairs, mobility carts, etc.). The event will be live broadcast to allow an extended audience to enjoy the event.
Advance notice is required if you (participating student) or any member of your party has concerns regarding accessibility for this event.
- Contact Nicole Evans Nicole.email@example.com by April 15th or sooner.
- Campus Safety & Security
The university has security procedures in place for all commencement ceremonies and venues. Please review the information below and plan accordingly to avoid delays. View the full policy for more information.
- Backpacks, tote bags, or any bags larger than 12 inches in any dimension will not be allowed into the venue.
- Do not bring any packages that cannot be opened or inspected to the venue.
- In addition, security officers may search all bags including purses, camera cases, etc. before allowing guests to enter the venue.
- Those visitors bringing small bags should expect delays in order to enter the venue, and those with prohibited large bags will be turned away.
There are several steps to ensure you’re ready to receive your diploma. Visit the UT Registrar’s website for details and instructions asap.