Structural Diagenesis at the Bureau
Structural Diagenesis Research Program
Structural diagenesis is the study of the relationships between deformation or deformational structures and chemical changes to sediments. The Structural Diagenesis Initiative at The University of Texas supports research and student training on mechanics, structure, and geochemistry and the increasingly important results of these linked processes in sedimentary basins that are of great intrinsic and practical interest.
Dr. Stephen E. Laubach leads structural diagenesis research within The University of Texas. Laubach is founder and co-PI of the Fracture Research and Application Consortium and the Structural Diagenesis Initiative.
Laubach’s interests include fractured and unconventional reservoirs, and microstructural methods in structural geology research.
Laubach was a member of the AAPG Executive Committee and AAPG Elected Editor from 2010-2013 and served as a Co-opted Member of the Petroleum Group Committee of the Geological Society of London from 2008 to 2012. He was a Distinguished Lecturer for AAPG in 2010-2011 and Distinguished Lecturer for SPE in 2003-2004. He was a member of the Committee to Assess the Science Proposed for a Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, National Research Council, 2010-2011 and the Committee on Advanced Drilling Technologies, National Research Council, 1992-1994. He served as co-Chairman of the First North American Rock Mechanics Symposium in 1994.
Dr. Laubach supervises graduate student research in structural geology and structural diagenesis in the Jackson School of Geosciences.
The following paper’s reflect some of Laubach’s current research interests:
- Hooker, J.N., Laubach, S.E., and Marrett, R., 2014, A universal power-law scaling exponent for fracture apertures in sandstone. Geological Society of America Bulletin. doi: 10.1130/B30945.1
- Anders, M. H., Laubach, S. E., and Scholz, C. H., 2014, Microfractures: a review. Journal of Structural Geology. doi: 10.1016/j.jsg.2014.05.011
- Laubach, S.E, P. Eichhubl, C. Hilgers, R.H. Lander, 2010, Structural diagenesis. Journal of Structural Geology, v. 32, no. 12, p.1866-1872. doi:10.1016/j.jsg.2010.10.001.
- Laubach, S. E., Olson, J. E, and Gross, M. R., 2009, Mechanical and fracture stratigraphy. AAPG Bulletin, v. 93, no. 11, p. 1413-1426.
- Laubach, S. E., 2003, Practical approaches to identifying sealed and open fractures, AAPG Bulletin, v. 87, No. 4, (April 2003) 561-579.