Resources and Funding for Research
Presenting results and conducting analyses in the field or the lab can cost money. Find money to support your research:
Apply for Jackson School research funding
If you are a DGS student (General Geology, Hydrogeology, Geophysics, Environmental Science) and in good standing, you can apply for funds to support your research.
- Undergraduate Student Support Request for Off Campus Research
- Undergraduate Student Support Request for Analytical Fees
- Undergraduate Student Support Request for Professional Development
- EVS Research Fellowships
Undergraduate research fellowship
The School of Undergraduate Studies offers a research fellowship for all currently enrolled UT undergraduate students. The Undergraduate Research Fellowship provides up to $1,000 to cover costs associated with academic research projects proposed and written by student applicants. For more information, including how to apply and deadlines, visit Undergraduate Research Fellowship.
Funding, scholarships and grants
There are many funding sources available within and outside the University to conduct research, purchase equipment, attend science events, or present your work. The following should not be considered an exhaustive list.
- University scholarships for research and travel
- The Hamilton Book Awards
- University Co-op George H. Mitchell Award
- UT Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) offers scholarships and awards for research and travel.
- Green Fund from UT Office of Sustainability
- American Geophysical Union: Student Travel Grants & Scholarships. Offers a range of student travel grants and scholarships to attend the AGU Fall meeting and other regional meetings.
- Geological Society of America undergraduate research grants:
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) scholarships:
- AAPG Annual Convention usually offers travel grants to students selected to present at the student research poster session. To submit an abstract for the 2020 convention visit ACE 2020
- AAPG Foundation:
Science meetings, events and conferences…
If you are attending a national or local meeting, always check the website or inquire with the coordinator about any student travel grants or opportunities where you can volunteer to cover the registration costs.