We encourage late career undergraduate students and all graduate students to participate (even if you are in your first year).
Deadline: February 1, 2023 Submit your abstract here.
To submit your abstract, please follow these steps:
1. Prepare your abstract in your word processing program of choice.
3. Once in the submission portal:
- Indicate if you would like to compete or simply present your research.
- Provide your demographics and UT email.
- Select your student status: Student category descriptions can be found below
- Indicate which department you are affiliated with.
- Select Jackson School supervisor
- Select which research groups you are associated with.
- Fill in your abstract title (please check your spelling!)
- List your authors in the correct order
- Either submit an abstract file (.doc, .pdf, or .txt) or you can copy and paste your abstract text into the Abstract text box(500 word limit).
- Provide keywords related to the research you are presenting
Contact Eric Hiatt at email@example.com if you have any questions about abstracts or encounter any issues.
Poster size: Maximum width of 6 feet. The dimensions should be 36″ or 42″ by 72″ to fit on the poster stand. Please see this UTBox folder for editable example poster templates: https://utexas.box.com/s/
- If printing at JGB: At least one dimension of your poster (usually height) needs to be equal or less than 42 inches. Give yourself a half inch of white space on all sides to the edge of the paper.
- General things to keep in mind:
- Presentation should cover the material cited in the abstract
- Poster must have title and author names
- Prepare figures to be size sufficient for viewing at ~2 meters distance
- Paragraph and caption text should be no smaller than 24-point font, header text ~36-point font
- Organize the information in a clear, orderly, and self-explanatory way
Explanations for the judging categories can be found below. There may be exceptions to each category so if you have any questions on what category you belong to, please email Eric Hiatt.
The judge’s rubric can be found here. The rubric is subject to change before the 2023 symposium. Participants and judges will be notified in advance of any changes.
Early Career Graduate Students
- Ph.D. Students (Pre-qualifying exam) with limited research results from their time at the Jackson School
- 1st year Master’s students with limited research results from their time at the Jackson School
- These students are encouraged to submit “idea” posters that outline their research interests and what they plan on studying for their thesis and any preliminary data.
- If you are in the first year of your MS or Ph.D. and would like to present your Undergraduate research, you still should submit to the Early Career Grad judging category and should be made clear on your poster.
- If you are in the first year of your Ph.D. and would like to present your completed MS work, you should submit to the Late Career MS judging category even if you are currently a first-year Ph.D. student as the judging criteria are different.
Late-Career Master’s Students
- 2nd year Master’s students who have completed some of their own thesis research
- Early career graduate students who are presenting on previously completed MS work
Late-Career Ph.D. Students
- Ph.D. candidates (Post-qualifying) who have completed some of their own thesis research
- Early career graduate students who are presenting on previously completed Ph.D. work
- Students currently enrolled as undergraduate students
High School Students
- Students currently enrolled as High school students
- **Abstracts should be sent directly to Eric Hiatt, firstname.lastname@example.org**
|8:30 – 9:00 a.m.||Breakfast Tacos* & Coffee|
|9:00 – 11:30 a.m.||Surface and Hydrologic Processes, Paleontology, Geomorph, Geochron, Climate and Environment. List of morning presenters here.|
|11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||Lunch*|
|1:00 – 3:30 p.m.||Planetary, Energy Geology, Solid Earth and Tectonic List of afternoon presenters here.|
|3:30 – 5:00 p.m.||Happy Hour & Awards|
*GF and Vegan options will be provided. Please get in touch if you have any dietary requirements you’d like us to account for.