The Jackson School of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Austin seeks an Associate Dean for Research to enhance and promote the school’s overall research excellence, including multi- and interdisciplinary research and collaboration across the school. The position is at least a half time. The rest of the appointment will be as faculty, research faculty, or research scientist, depending on the applicant’s interests and qualifications.
The Jackson School of Geosciences is among the most established and well-regarded geoscience programs in the world. The school includes the University’s Department of Geological Sciences, one of the country’s oldest geoscience departments, and two world-renowned research units, the Institute for Geophysics and the Bureau of Economic Geology. The school is home to the world’s largest academic geoscience community with 58 faculty, 150 research staff, and one of the largest combined graduate and undergraduate enrollments of any major geoscience program.
The Associate Dean for Research assists faculty and research scientists in planning and securing resources for large collaborative research initiatives and in evaluating and implementing research activities to advance excellence. The Associate Dean must be familiar with a wide range of research activities across the school and be able to serve as a school representative internally and externally. Duties include giving presentations on Jackson School research, organizing meetings with external stakeholders, and actively participating in institutional planning.
Candidates must have a Ph.D in geoscience and at least 10 years of relevant academic research experience. Other qualifications include:
- Exceptional research reputation and publication record with demonstrated ability of obtaining significant levels of research funding;
- Experience in influencing change within a diverse academic organization;
- Demonstrated capacity to promote and contribute to the school’s strategic research direction;
- Familiarity with a wide range of current geoscience research and ability learn new fields.
- Comprehensive knowledge of funding opportunities in the geosciences, including federal, foundation and industry support;
- Ability to build relationships and contacts internally and externally; and
- Demonstrated ethical behavior, professionalism, leadership, interpersonal skills and management abilities.
Applications should include a letter describing their qualifications and interest in the position. Applicants should also include a description of relevant experience and accomplishments, curriculum vitae, and the names and addresses of four references (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission).
Email applications to email@example.com, or mail to: Search Committee Chair, Office of the Dean, Jackson School of Geosciences, 2305 Speedway, Stop C1160, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712-1692.
Review of applications will begin Sept. 30, 2014, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For other employment opportunities at the Jackson School, see the employment page.
The University of Texas at Austin is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity at all levels. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 Rules)