Petrobras said Tuesday production platform P-58 began operation Monday in the Parque das Baleias complex off the coast of Espirito Santo state in the Campos Basin.
In a statement the Brazilian oil giant said the platform was connected through well 7-BFR-7-ESS to a subsalt reservoir with excellent productivity. Petrobras did not specify the platform’s initial daily output, but said this type of Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading platform can process up to 180,000 b/d of oil and 6 million cubic meters/d of natural gas.
P-58 lies 85 km (53 miles) offshore at a water depth of 1,400 meters (4,593 feet). Over the coming months, 15 production wells, eight subsalt and seven postsalt, and nine injection wells will be connected to the FPSO. It will help develop the northern part of the Parque das Baleias, which includes production from fields Baleia Franca, Cachalote, Jubarte, Baleia Azul and Baleia Ana.
According to Petrobras’ 2014-2018 business and management plan, three more new platforms will begin operations in second-quarter 2014.
Petrobras denied Tuesday that one of these, P-62 in the Campos Basin’s Roncador field, had been banned from operating by the Ministry of Labor. Works have been ongoing at the platform as it prepares for its planned startup.
Rio de Janeiro oil workers union Sindipetro NF said Friday the Regional Labor and Employment Superintendent (SRTE) shut the platform after carrying out an inspection March 11 and identifying 11 pending security issues that needed to be met for the platform to begin operation.
Petrobras said the SRTE inspected the P-62 on March 11-12 and said activities aboard the platform “continue normally” and on schedule. Following the inspection, “no service was interdicted, with all work with electricity, painting, heat, at heights, in confined spaces, with assembly and on scaffolding, approved to go ahead,” a note from the company said.
The statement said P-62 would come into operation when all necessary safety systems had been installed and all relevant authorizations received, including from the SRTE.
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Labor could not be reached.