Mission of the Jackson School
The University of Texas at Austin’s Jackson School of Geosciences provides education and research to enhance our knowledge of the Earth. GeoFORCE, a K-12 outreach program of the Jackson School, is designed to increase the number of students pursuing STEM degrees in college and moving into the future high-tech workforce.
- Target rural areas of southwest Texas and inner-city Houston that have historically generated a very low percentage of students who pursue college degrees and an even lower percentage of students who pursue degrees in math or science. These target areas have a high percentage of minority students, thus providing an opportunity for GeoFORCE to increase minority participation in science and math.
- Identify at an early age (eighth grade) students who have shown a proclivity to excel in school and engage them over four years.
- Present students with opportunities to experience the excitement of science outside the classroom through spectacular summer field trips each year of the four years they are involved in the program.
- Provide the students with examples of exciting careers that await those who stay the course and obtain degrees in math or science.
- Continue to motivate and monitor participating students each year of their high school career and into college.