Our services are available to all current Jackson School students in good standing who are looking for internships, part-time research jobs or full-time employment following graduation. We also offer programs and services for students who are exploring career options within the geosciences. We encourage our students to seek assistance for resume reviews, cover letter writing, job search strategies, interviewing skills and graduate school planning. The Texas Geosciences Career Center schedules events on professional etiquette, networking and an online presence. Students are welcome to explore, experience, and emerge into the vibrant and exciting world of the geological sciences.
Meet the Staff
C. Maurine Riess, M.S. Geology, Career Services Director
512.232.7673, JGB 2.112 B, firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-campus recruiting and event scheduling; Developing employer relationships
- Geosciences career counseling with experience in the oil and gas industry, environmental consulting, and higher education teaching
Jennifer L. Jordan, M.A. Educational Psychology, Career Services Program Coordinator
512.232.0893, JGB 2.112 C, email@example.com
- Undergraduate & graduate career counseling
- Coordinating programs and workshops
Career Services Policy for Jackson School of Geosciences Alumni
During the first four weeks of the semester our appointments are reserved for currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students. Alumni of the Jackson School of Geosciences are more than welcome to make appointments after this time period.
Our alumni are welcome to use any of our career services free of charge for an unlimited time except for on-campus interviews. On-campus interviews are reserved for current students only and alumni may only apply to positions on GeoSource that are aligned with the degree received at the Jackson School of Geosciences. For example, alumni who are pursuing a higher degree (than the one they earned at the JSG) at another institution are not eligible to compete with current students for interviews or job opportunities that are available on-campus.
Career Center Resources
The Geosciences Career Center offers many resources for students and alumni.
- Career counseling, assistance with resume creation, cover letter writing, interviewing skills, job offer tips and graduate school planning. Make an appointment or drop-in on Thursdays, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- GeoSource is an online resource that manages student resumes, job postings, and scheduling for interviews and information sessions.
- Fall and spring semester on-campus recruiting and career fairs
- On-campus information sessions, guest speakers, webinars, and workshops
Equal Opportunity Policy
The University of Texas Equal Opportunity Policy
It is the policy of The University of Texas at Austin to provide an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, including sexual harassment, age, disability, citizenship, and veteran status. Procedures for filing discrimination complaints on the basis of gender, including sexual harassment, are addressed by HOP Policy 4.B.2. Pursuant to University policy, this policy also prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. For more information, visit the Office of Institutional Equity website.